Monday, October 4, 2010

Slam the Dam 8k Open Water Swim


Saturday morning couldn't have been better weather for an open water swim. In my previous post, I conveyed my nervousness through the written word. The night before the swim I managed to get to bed by 9:30 so that was a huge plus. I woke up at a little before 4, only 30 mins before I my alarm was to go off anyhow. Alright this is good. Good sleep before, good pre-race fuel of oatmeal, banana, some Heed, and greek yogurt. My stomach wasn't cooperating with me though. I forced everything down and man was it upset. 2 trips the john before I even climbed in the car. It was the nerves. I was really stepping into the unknown for this event. I've run a half marathon and if I got in trouble I had the option of slowing down or stopping. I've ridden several 100 mile bike rides and if I got in trouble I could always slow down or stop. In an 8 kilometer (4.9 mile) open water swim, if I got in trouble, I can't really stop or slow down cuz I'm still out in the open water. Ah the hell with it. Boulder Beach is really dark at 5:30 am. How come the Natl Park Service don't have lights in the potties on the beach. C'mon guys. 2 more trips to the potty and my stomach was all good. I got into race mode. JB and Weintzy arrived just before 6 and we hopped on over the Sunset Beach overlook where the 8k would start. I got checked in and body marked, we picked up our kayak that JB and Weintzy would operate for the next little while and we headed down to the water. JB and Weintzy had to navigate a pretty sketchy dirt trail whilst carrying a loaded kayak for about 1/4 mile. We made it. I shot the breeze with a few other swimmers I knew who were also swimming the event. The sun was coming up, the water was glass and it was warm. These were perfect conditions for a swim. Race directors final instructions complete and I jump in the water. Its a deep water start meaning all participants are out in the water treading water waiting for the starters horn. A little confusion as to where everyone was supposed to be, but I heard a horn and a GO, so I went. I'd be swimming for more or less the next 2 hours.


Things were a little screwy at the start with swimmers of varying abilities and their accompanying kayakers and their various abilities all going in the same direction. I had a little scuffle with a guy trying to push me out of his way, but with a kayak right on the other side of me, I wasn't going anywhere and let him know that. We both threw some elbows and some side kicks. Enough of this cat, I kicked and got past him. I know I started out just a little too fast, I always do. Although, all things considered, it served me well. In no time my pilots were right at my left side and keeping me in a nice straight line. My stoke really felt good, long and strong. I wasn't elevating my heart rate beyond where it needed to be. Ok, I got this. JB, Weintzy, and I never once practiced a "feeding". We nailed it first time out!! Schedule was bottle every 15 mins and gel/ bottle every 30 mins. This worked to perfection through the entire race. I rolled on my back, maintained my kick and shoved calories down my gullet. My pace happened to coincide with the stops as well. 1 kilometer every 15 mins meant a 2 hr race. Perfect. All went perfect up through 4 kilometers. Actually, it went well to almost 5 k. At the 5 k buoy, my right calf started to cramp. My calf, not my shoulder, or my triceps? Are you kidding me? My calf? It cramped like I have never experienced cramps before, full knots. I asking my pilots for anything in my bag of goodies with lots of potassium to see if that helps, it doesn't. I end up stopping about every 400 yrds to massage my calves, yes calves. At 6.5 k my other calf starts to cramp, thought not as bad as the right one. I fight calf cramps the entire rest of the swim. There were some times, pre cramps, where I experienced swimmers high. I was in such a great rhythm, my stroke was long, I was moving pretty good. I was in 4th place most of the race until 1k to go to the finish. Another guy had been slowly creeping up on me for the last 2.5 k's. I really thought I could hold him off. I was really tired at this point and with the cramps in my legs he past me with about 700 meters to go. I was pissed, but there was nothing I could have done. I sighted the finish, rounded the last buoy and entered the finish straight.

I think I finished 5th overall with a time of 2 hours and 07 mins. I was blitzed at the end. As I walked out of the water, I wasn't sure if my legs were going to give out, my head was scrambled eggs, I was in la la land. I'm glad I did it. I will do it again next year. It's Monday, and I'm still really fatigued. I am thankful to JB and Weintzy for keeping me feed and keeping me swimming straight. They performed flawlessly. It would be cool if some other Chasqui swimmers came out next year. I know who you all are. There are other distances. Be warned.






5 comments:

J.B. said...

Trying to figure out why that first pic isn't on your FB profile yet...I can't think of a reason.

Christi said...

Seriously can't even imagine it!!! I think it is so cool you did this. Very impressive. Good job to JB and Weintzy too!

Belinda said...

What a machine!! You're amazing to be able to do that. I can't even swim a lap without needing to be fed and cramping up. Great job Morgan!

Mason Duff said...

Awesome job Morgan!

the duffsters said...

Ya baby! Nice job. You're coming out of the water fighting in that last picture.