Saturday, September 10, 2011

Disneyland Half Marathon 2011

I was so not ready for this run. Trying to recover from injuries did not let me train the way i should have. However, the day before the race I was really excited for it. Maybe it was the thrill of being in Disneyland and seeing all the people at the Health Expo but I was stoked.

We got to our corral and I was still excited to run. The race started out good. No pain in my feet, legs felt good and breathing was easy. The first 3-4 miles of this race is through the Disney parks and its always fun to see where the course takes us, which characters are out and who is trying to run in what silly Disney costume. I was feeling good as we hit the streets of Anaheim.

Just as I had predicted about mile 7 I was feeling some pain in the feet. It wasn't too bad and I knew it was only because I had not conditioned them to pound pavement for this distance. Mile 8 = major bonkfest! I hit a big fat wall. I stopped and walked for a minute then picked up again. I couldn't decide if my feet hurt worse walking or running. The rest of the race I walked for a small part of each mile. I was just ready to be done. It was a bit disappointing to feel like I didn't do my best but I hope to make up for it in January at the Tinker Bell Half. Now if I can just figure out how to keep running and not let the arthritis in my feet slow me down.



Look, JB, I remember ed to wear my Chasqui shirt this time!

No comments: