Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ragnar So Cal 2011 Race Report Legs 2&3

Ok, the saga continues.

Leg 2
First of all, HUGE ups to the Chasquis in van 2 who endured the heat during their first legs. None of us were ready for 95 degrees and a wicked sun. You all had the worst of it, so good on all y'all. Van 1 had a really nice resting spot under some pine trees in the shade of exchange 12. Homemade chips and salsa (thanks Denise and Belinda), beef jerky.... and all that after a nice break back at the Bunker beach house in Dana Point. Alright, alright, on to the leg report. It was about 4:30 or around there once Justin got to the exchange looking like roadkill. Justin, no disrespect, you had to put up with some brutal conditions, and I only saw you for a brief moment. My reckoning was about to begin. I train at 5-5:30 in the morning and in Vegas its only, probably 50 degrees. The heat was as big a slap to my face as anyone. How hard could it be? 5.1 miles on the shores of Lake Elsinore. I started out feeling ok. My ankle wasn't bothering me, thank goodness. After 2 miles though, the wheels came off. I was very lucky the van was able to support this leg. The cold water dousings were a must. Adding to my misery, there was no "1 mile to go" sign! Who does that? No notification of when my pain can end? The Garmin was right on though. That exchange couldn't have come much later. Really glad that one was over. Thanks to the van 1 Chasquis for watchin' out for me.

Leg 3
Originally this leg was to start right at the Oceanside Pier and follow the coast all the way to Carlsbad. Approx 6.5 miles of coastal bliss. I've raced on this route, I've trained on this route, but Ragnar had other plans. Instead, I started in the hills and office complexes above Carlsbad. Urban assault indeed. It was dark, it was cool, and I felt good. No lingering issues from the leg 2 heat relieved me big time. I had an incredible view of the ocean and the moonlight reflecting off of it on a clear night. It was really a pretty sight. I was finding it hard to believe that the sun hadn't started to come up yet on Saturday and I was done with all me legs. Despite not sleeping a wink in the Taylor Made parking lot, that last leg was great.

There you go kiddos. Yes, as a Chasqui, your are required to post a race report. No, just kidding. It would be really cool if you all did though. Especially the van 2 Chasquis. Next stop Ragnar LV in October....gonna get real, real fast.

No comments: