Monday, April 18, 2011

Ragnar So Cal 2010- Race Report

Done and dusted. Ragnar So Cal '10 is in the books. All that's left is the acid in the thighs. After a year of no Ragnar on my calendar, I was pretty psyched to run this one. I hadn't trained as I would have liked, but that might have helped me in the long run, jury is out. I liked the early start time, I liked being in Van 1 (in 6 Ragnars, a first), I liked my van mates. It was "ON". Leg 1 We arrived at the start with a little extra time to spare. I like that. I like to absorb the energy at the start. I had no idea what to expect. I didn't know how my ankle would respond to running hard, something I hadn't done in 3 weeks. As is my custom, I always start out fast. I can't help it. JB even told me right before the countdown, "Don't start out too fast." It was a great reminder, but I simply replied, "Now that wouldn't be my style." I have been to the start of Ragnars before, but I've never realized how big some start groups are. Our 7 am start group was big. I was set to get down to business and it seemed like the team intros went on forEVER. It was cool to have a group of Spec Op Marines in our group. Wonder what those fellas have seen? Countdown: 5....4....3....2...1..GO! I thought I started quite conservatively, NOT. It didn't take but 100 yrds and I knew it was going to be me and the Marine. We started out at a 7:10 pace through 2 miles. I glanced back and saw nobody. Well if this Marine is gung-ho, we 'bout to have showdown. I felt great, no ankle trouble, nothing. My new K-Swiss were just cruzin'. I was on the Marine's shoulder the entire time. Mid point and we slowed a bit to 7:25 pace, no worries. I didn't want to hang on his shoulder for 4 miles and pass him in the last half mile. We understood each other. No words exchanged, just shoulder to shoulder. It was pretty cool. Saw the blessed "1 mile to go " sign. Marine and I finished 4.9 miles right together. Little did the Marine team know, Team Chasqui was about to open up a can "whoop ass" in the form of Denise. Exchange made. The weather was beautiful, cool, sunny. Great way to open my account. Leg 2 to come....

2 comments:

Morgan said...

Yes 2010 was last year, you are correct. I just wanted to see if the Chasquis were awake today. Race report is indeed from 2011.

Belinda said...

Ahh!!! Can't believe you stopped with leg 1. I was so looking forward to reading the full report